One of my favorite quick dishes is egg salad, tuna or chicken salad. The problem which I have encountered is I am not a fan of mayonnaise. When we changed our diet it became one of my quests to find an alternative. Well – here is one of our favorite replacements. This works for chicken or tuna, I happened to make tuna today:
Delicious Mayo-Free Tuna Salad
Delicious Mayonnaise Free Tuna Salad
Credit: The Functional Perspective
- 1 Boiled Egg
- 1 Can Tuna
- 3-4 Small Stalks of Celery
- 1/2 large Cucumber – diced
- 1/4 c diced Onion
- 1/2 Avocado
- pinch of Salt (optional)
- 1 TB Olive Oil –
- Either start your egg first to boil it while you prepare the rest – or go ahead and move on to the next step. Put egg in pan of water and turn on high heat – keep covered, when water is boiling remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse and chop Celery and Cucumber – add to mixing bowl.
- Chop, dice small amount of onion – add to mixing bowl.
- Add Tuna to mixing bowl.
- Mash up boiled egg in a small separate bowl, IF making fresh boiled egg let cool just a tad. Then add Avocado and Olive Oil and mix together well. Can add salt at this step.
- Once the avocado and egg are blended up add to the rest of the ingredients and mix well. This is wonderful when served on a bed of lettuce with a few apple slices! We love to sprinkle our favorite herbs on top.
- TIPS: Keep a couple of boiled eggs on hand to use to make a quick snack with left over chicken, turkey or for a day when you just don’t want to cook!